Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 11 September 2016

Mainly Sunny.

The day was sunny when I got up early to do the morning jobs and put some towels in the washing machine. Then it clouded over and no sooner had I hung the towels on the line that it began to rain. In came the towels to dry over the rayburn and naturally the rain stopped and the afternoon has been lovely and sunny again. Once the morning jobs were done we listened to both last week's and this week's Archers omnibus episodes. This was because the current storyline of domestic abuse and a trial is coming to a conclusion and Radio 4 keeps on putting out trailers so we have to cover our ears and sing la-la-la to avoid finding out what happens. Also it's being discussed in some of the current affairs programmes. Even then it finished on a cliff hanger with the verdict yet to be given so we are taping tonight's single episode as well. I don't currently watch any TV soaps but we have been listening to The Archers on and off for over 40 years as a bit of gentle relaxation. 
I took advantage of the warm weather to do some tidying up of the winter flowering jasmine and one of the flower beds. It's not the best time to prune the jasmine but it was blocking the light  from the window and looked a bit too informal. Then I started cutting the grass where the primroses grow. Strimming or mowing would chop off the primrose leaves and they looked so good last spring that it's worth the effort to hand cut the grass with my dead-heading scissors. There was even time at the end of the day to sit out for a while in the sun with my book. I'm reading 2 books concurrently, a light novel and the Lundy book which is fascinating not only because we are familiar with Lundy and the North Devon coast but there are also local family names that we know. 
When I was in the library looking in the local history section I came across a book about St Ives Artists. Just for fun I looked up my mother's name (Elena Gaputyte) and was thrilled to find a couple of references to her and half a page about the gallery she ran.

1 comment:

happyone said...

How neat to find something about your mom in the book.
I'd never heard of the Archers and looked it up on line. Sounds interesting to listen to.