Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 5 January 2018

Ladywell.

The first thing I saw this morning was a rainbow arching across the sky. We had bright blue skies for the morning which later became overcast. The temperature seems to be dropping so we may be in for another cold spell.  Right now I'm watching a beautiful skyscape in shades of blue and grey with a few orange highlights.
As I had worked out, or so I thought, how to fit the over-the-(kitchen cupboard) door rack I thought that would be a good job to do this morning. All I had to do was take out the shelf and cut a couple of inches from the back. That was when I found that instead of the usual flat plastic peg-things supporting the shelf this cupboard had metal fitting with a spike at the top that fitted into a hole in the shelf. This involved not only drilling new holes in the underside of the shelf but more holes in the walls of the cupboard too. With careful measuring I got it all done but for the number of baking trays I was able to place in the rack I'm not sure it was a worthwhile endeavour. However I think I've worked out a relatively easy way to put up some small shelves by the side of the top cupboards. It depends if I can get the right fittings. I also tried unsuccessfully to plane the top of our bedroom door in situ to accommodate the metal pieces from the clothes hanging thing. Some you win and some you don't.
By late afternoon I was ready to take myself off for a walk. The more I find out about the history of Pilton the more fascinated I get. Having read about the ancient Ladywell or Holy Well by the church I decided to go and have a look at it. 
Coming out of our estate across the road is Broadgate which I presume was a way in through the original wall.
From there I turned down this little alleyway. Through Pilton there is a network of lanes or alleys, some wide enough for a horse and cart while others only wide enough for pedestrians or pack animals. It is fascinating to think that these were the original thoroughfares of the old town.  
 Love the high chimneys with the church in the background.

Here I reached the modern road which swings around to the top of Pilton Street. Instead of following the road I walked along the lane on the left which brought me to the cobbled path leading to the front of the church.

 The sun came out for a while turning the stonework golden.

I walked around the  churchyard and found a locked gate leading down to the Ladywell.
It was only by walking around the outside of the churchyard wall that I was able to get to the well via a very narrow closed in lane. In the past the well was used for baptisms and healing. I don't think anyone would want to bring a baby there now.
 I returned by a different route along the network of lanes.
Through some of the gateways were tantalising glimpses along curved drives of grand old properties. An overhead view through Google maps shows that some of these houses have grounds almost as big as the whole of our estate.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Thank you, Ruta, for the photos and walk about. You have given my eyes a treat and my mind additional history.

happyone said...

Great place to go walking. Fun moving to a new place and learning all the good walking places to go.