Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 2 January 2018

Overcast.

After the last storm all has been quiet on the weather front, just overcast with frequent light drizzle. Storm Eleanor is on its way but it looks as if it will miss us down here in the south-west. I walked into town again today as a friend had sent us a card minus a stamp and I needed to go to the main sorting office to pay (£2!) for it. I'm really enjoying the walk into town because not only do I get to enjoy the olde village atmosphere but I feel virtuous at burning up some calories and not using the car. When we lived in the country we always greeted anyone we passed and often had a conversation but that isn't the way in town. I've decided that while I'm still in the 'village' of Pilton I will continue to greet everybody and will revert to the British habit of even avoiding eye contact with people I don't know once I've crossed the main road. Or I could buck the trend and smile at everyone but then I'll probably be classed as a batty old lady.
Once I'd collected my card I had my usual amble along the High Street where I resisted buying any more Christmas cards but bought 5 things for birthday presents and even a Christmas present. These will all have to remain top secret as the recipients may also be readers. I bought this half price tiny tree decoration for myself from one of those expensive gift shops. 
My afternoon was spent doing all the daily routines and some cleaning. The voice warm ups are a bit dire especially my poor attempts at lip trills (blowing raspberries in tune) but I shall persevere in the hope of some improvement.
I bought a small container in my favourite blue glass for this fuzzy succulent which I bought on sale in Tesco's the other day. By looking up 'fuzzy succulent' I was able to identify it as Kalenchoe tomentosa- chocolate soldier.
PS There were big display fireworks being set off last night back over the hills towards Marwood, a birthday or wedding perhaps ?

1 comment:

happyone said...

I smile and talk to every one I meet walking around. I've met most of the people in town that way. : )