Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 23 March 2024

Windy.

It's been very windy all day long with a touch of rain in the morning and sun later on.
I ran down to the shop before breakfast, or rather since I can't run due to my arthritic knee I staggered along as the wind attempted to blow me sideways into the road. The reason for going was to buy some stamps. I only send a few Easter cards but I was one stamp short yesterday. My goodness, stamps are so expensive these days. No wonder people don't send cards or write letters. First class stamps cost £1.25 each so now they sell books of four stamps as even those few come to a fiver.
I've had two good sessions out in the garden. Two more days of digging should see that part of the job done. It was so wild and windy at first that I wasn't surprised not to see any of my usual bird companions. That is until I looked round and saw the female blackbird and two robins sitting on the raised bed wall watching me intently. They got their worms but once I've finished digging they'll have to find their own food. I noticed that the bold robin sometimes carried whatever he found in his beak so I guessed that he was feeding chicks. On one occasion he turned up with a small wasp/fly in his beak and try as he might he couldn't pick up the grub he had spotted so in the end he ate the fly and then the grub. Later on I realised that he was taking worms to the second robin which was actually making piping 'feed me' noises. The second fat robin had its adult colours and a normal beak, not the brown feathers and gaping beak I associate with fledglings but Prof G. tells me that although the chicks fledge at 14 days the male continues to feed them for another three weeks while the female sits on the next lot of eggs.
The sea stayed pretty wild as the evening sun lit up the waves and the gulls nonchalantly bobbing up and down.

 

No comments: