Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 22 July 2018

Hedgehog Day.

Today I dragged Peter off to a garden fete in aid of the North Devon Hedgehog Rescue charity. It was in the garden of a very nice house not far from Braunton but by the time we were on the road the beach traffic had eased off and it didn't take long to get there. Hedgehogs have a large 'cuteness' factor so it wasn't surprising to see a lot of bric-a-brac, toys, plants, craft items and a mountain of scones and cakes made and donated by the good people of Braunton. We have a member of the family who has a soft spot for hedgehogs and I was spoilt for choice at the stall that had all types of hedgehog items. That's one Christmas present sorted.  It's a good cause so I didn't mind buying a 'name the hedgehog' ticket though it would be hard to know what to do with such a large cake. At the plant stall I bought some small lavender plants, two nepeta and a morning glory. They also offered cream teas and cakes and I bought some cake to take home.
I haven't eaten much today, partly due to having indulged yesterday but also because the busted tooth is aching slightly. Also yesterday evening I noticed a strong metallic/chemical taste in my mouth and a burning sensation at the back of my throat. Luckily I still have some dental wax and have been able to cap off the broken tooth which has stopped whatever it was. The wax isn't that secure and falls out if I try to anything but soft food so I was forced to eat cake.
It's been another blazingly hot day so when we got home I did some mending sitting out in the garden. 
Some of the beautiful birds of prey from yesterday. They all come from a rescue centre and can't be released back into the wild.

This Little Owl trying to look fierce was too cute at about 6 inches high. 
Peter keeps saying he doesn't like cats! 

2 comments:

happyone said...

Oh I do like hedgehogs, they are so cute. We don't have any here in the US.
The birds of prey are fantastic.
Peter might not like cats, but they like him. : )

Harriet said...

I, too, have a love of hedge hogs, cute and not in our nation except the people who purchase them for "pets". Wonderful owls, thank you for posting the photos. Only eat cake---my idea of heaven.