Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 24 December 2018

Christmas Eve.


Another grey day but at least I could see the sheep out in the fields. Today I've been cleaning and attempting to decorate yesterday's baking. The nice thing about special occasion baking is that I get to try out new recipes. Unfortunately that can also increase the chance of failure. Today I dutifully followed a recipe for a fudge frosting but despite my best efforts it was not in the least like fudge. I used a sugar thermometer but maybe it still didn't reach the required temperature. Towards the end of the cooking process the contents of the saucepan were bubbling perilously close to the top and with all the steam I may have misread the scale. Eventually I gave up on the 'beat with a wooden spoon until it thickens' instructions, used the electric mixer which was better and then abandoned the recipe and incorporated the mixture into a butter frosting though I'm not sure if that's worked. It's now in the fridge where I'm hoping it will harden. 
Tonight will be the first time we've not celebrated Kūčios, the Lithuanian traditional Christmas Eve meal which is more important than Christmas dinner. There didn't deem much point with only two of us. Instead of chopping up beetroot, making potato salad and various herring dishes while listening to  A Festival of 9 Lessons from King's College this afternoon I was doing my exercises. I still stuck to the tradition of not eating any meat or dairy products (apart from milk ) today and will be going to the local church for the Midnight Service. (Not quite sure what happened to the font.)

No comments: