Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 15 December 2018

Storm Deidre.

We sleep with the bedroom curtains open and the first thing I do each morning is enjoy the skyscape and try and work out what the ever changing weather is like. This morning was overcast and I could see the clouds being blown from the south-west by strong winds. (It's the northerlies that bring the cold.) From the radio I found out that this was Storm Deidre, the fourth named storm of the winter. There were amber weather alerts for the whole country apart from the South-East. We were due strong winds and heavy rain which proved accurate, Scotland could expect snow and the north of the country might have freezing rain which doesn't occur here that often and is dangerous especially for drivers. It's due to settle down tomorrow so hopefully Peter will get his morning row.
Today I caught up with the housework which has been neglected for the last few days and even washed the kitchen and hall floors. Looking out of the sitting room window I could see a pair of blackbirds hopping around in the garden. The female (above) was bolder than the male. Later I threw out more bird seed hoping to tempt them back. 
Having done all my jobs I made more chocolate truffles as I still had some cream in the fridge. This time I made rum & raisin and vodka truffles rolled in powdered coconut. I put what I think is a generous glug of alcohol into the ganache but they don't taste strongly of the booze. I'm proud that I've managed not to eat a single truffle this week but naturally the bowls had to be scraped out. I put the soft sugar cookies in the oven at a low heat and although they are still over sweet they are now crunchy and more like biscuits.
The cats have now decided that the best place to be in the evenings is lying on or by me. Luckily I tend to be stretched out on the sofa though tonight Patch ended up sitting on Speedy's head. They make cosy warmers and I like their company especially as we don't know how long Patch's heart will hold out.

1 comment:

happyone said...

A rainy day here too.
What a beautiful picture of the bird.