Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 5 December 2018

Wet.

It has been a very wet day today and rather mild. I needed a couple of things from the Co-Op so instead of walking I had to take the car. I'm trying to stick closely to the Christmas cake recipe so didn't want to use dark soft brown sugar instead of light. Also I didn't seem to have any mixed spice. There is a jar with the pen rubbed off that I think might be mixed spice but I didn't want to take the chance. I looked up the ingredients of mixed spice to see if I could make it at home but I certainly don't have any ground mace. Shopping done it was time to mix the fruit which smelt deliciously of orange and whiskey with the rest of the ingredients. I split the mixture between two tins (why do Christmas cake recipes use such large quantities?) so one will be loaf shaped. Three and half hours later the cakes were done. We have a gas cooker so Peter bought a temperature gauge that sits inside the oven so I could make sure the cakes baked at the right temperature. The cakes are safe (from the cats) on a tray in Peter's study where I'll be 'feeding' them with more whiskey.
It's choir tonight so right now I'm multitasking by singing 'Time after time' and should just have enough time for 'Crossing the bar.'

No comments: