Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 14 December 2020

A Long Walk.

It's been a wild day with a few showers and plenty of dark skies. The waves were coming in fast and strong during breakfast as we watched three surfers attempting to catch the waves. At one point I saw two of them turning in to a wave only to tumble in a tangle of flailing limbs, it was just too powerful for them.
This morning I ordered the curtain poles for the sitting room. Big wooden ones that come with rings and brackets. They came to just under £100 but the one over the French doors is over 4m long and the one for the window is over 2m.
I had been getting thoroughly fed up with the mess of black wires lurking in the bottom drawer of my filing cabinet. Initially I put them in flimsy plastic bags and today I transferred them into better quality small freezer bags. A lot easier now to pick out the right 'black wire' when needed.
With low tide at 2.47 I thought it was time to get out for some fresh air. While the sun was shining out to sea (above) inland the sky was black (below), even darker than the photo shows. In the above photo you can just see a dad and his daughter, aged about 4. She had her trousers rolled up to the knees and was happily splashing over the tiny waves holding her dad's hand.
It was a bonus extra low tide and I was able to stride out along the sand passing below the big rock piles. I did get caught out on my return by which time the tide had turned and was on its way back in. The first few 'points' were fine but then I came to one where the waves were starting to come right up to the rocks. I timed my move carefully but miscalculated the extent of the deeper channel by the rocks. In came the waves almost to the tops of my boots. It made no difference if I went on or back so I soldiered on getting my legs splashed and feeling water soaking down to my socks. I sat down and took off my boots but no water came out when I tipped them up.
With the tide so far out there was a large amount of the petrified forest in sight.
This was the furthest I've gone on my beach walks so far, about 2 1/2 miles in all. In the photo below I'm standing with my back to the sea with the village to my right and mountains in the distance. The red sign marks the end of the sea wall path which had been my previous turning point.

 

1 comment:

happyone said...

Spectacular photos. Love the lighting!!
What a good idea to put all the wires in plastic bags like that. I'm going to copy your idea!! Thanks