Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 13 December 2020

Wet.

A very wet day which gave us a lot of grey to look at.
There was more swell than breaking waves but being the weekend the hopeful surfers were there for most of the day. The lifeboat was back and forth all morning, a training exercise most likely to give all the volunteers some time on the water. Unfortunately Peter didn't make it into the shore crew as the cut-off age for the training is 65 though once you've been trained you can can stay on longer. At least he tried.
This kite surfer had a good start then lost the wind and his kite dropped into the water. After that it was one long struggle for the rest of the morning. He never got the kite higher than just above his head. Up it would go and then splat down into the water again. It reminded me of a butterfly that had come down in a puddle and couldn't quite make it out again. At one point he seemed to have gone too far out and I watched him anxiously through my binoculars but I noticed that the paddleboarder was also keeping an eye on him.
Later in the afternoon the clouds cleared and a rainbow's end appeared dipping into the water beyond the reef. (More colourful than it appears in the photo.)
My job for the day was to finish the next two batches of chocolate truffles. Now all I have to do is find the gift boxes.
I had already changed for the evening into my pjs when I heard the sound of loud music and saw bright lights coming from the road outside. I guessed it probably wasn't an impromptu street party but more likely some sort of Christmas fund raiser. I stuck my head out of the door where I saw some of my neighbours and a large tractor pulling an impressive Santa in his sleigh. Not the Rotary Club, who do the same thing in Barnstaple but a fund raiser for the carnival which we did see last year. I threw some money in the bucket and of course had a chat with the neighbours (I'd put my jacket on over my pjs) before coming back inside.
For a change I thought I'd try tofu for my supper. Not a success, I found the texture too unusual for my liking. Not to mention the fact that I set the wok on fire! I'd put in some oil, turned up the heat and in less than a minute flames were shooting up out of the pan. I grabbed the wok off the hob and plonked the lid on which put the fire out straight away. No damage done but it's a good reminder to get a domestic fire extinguisher to keep in the kitchen.
 

No comments: