Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 23 December 2020

Cold.

Mostly grey today and turning cold.
Today has been a real roller coaster of emotions. Recently I've been waking at about 6.30 which is a lot better than waking and getting up at 5am or even 4am which does happen, but today I was startled out of my sleep by the alarm clock set for 7.15. Up I leapt, got dressed, opened up the back doors for the plasterers, moved the litter tray, made tea and spread dust sheets all the way to the sitting room French doors and moved furniture around in the sitting room. No sign of the plasters until 9.15, Ho hum. Work is about to start - much joy. Then I hear they'll only be doing one room - slight disappointment. Rush out to talk nicely to the boss and ask if it would be possible to do the sitting room work today. Answer was 'Yes' - much joy again. Boss goes off and men begin - increased joy. Men come to look at the sitting room. Find the gap on one side of the doors is too wide, needs bonding (filler) which they don't have - severe gloom. They could go into Aber to get the stuff but that means an hour away and less work done in the end rooms so we said leave it till next time, which is next Monday - continuing gloom. I know it's not a serious matter but it would have made Christmas so much nicer if I could have taken off the dust sheets and found the throws. Yes I could still do that but then reversing the process would feel like a step backwards. Okay, that's my moan over, it is what it is.

With the plasterers working and singing loudly to their radio I was quite happy to take myself off to Aber for a final shop. I was in and out of Lidl in half an hour. Bought the big stock pot, the last one on the shelf. However while it's fine for induction hobs the glass lid can't go in the oven. I'd spotted this before I bought it but I'd hoped that the lid from the big aluminium pot would fit. Unfortunately it's too small so that defeats the object of buying the stock pot and back it will have to go. Another 15 minutes to go to the bank and pay another bill and then off to Morrisons I went. 
This was the queue at Morrisons, after I'd queued a bit then realised my shopping bag with my handbag in was still in the car and had to go and get it. Nearer the entrance we were told that the reason for the hold up was that the council had said they must ensure there wasn't a crowd milling around in the fresh fruit and veg section near the doors but that the rest of the shop was not crowded and there were no queues at the tills. That was true, I was able to walk straight up to a till and load my shopping without any delay. I couldn't find a single jar of mincemeat, just a space on the shelf so I gave in and bought some ready made ones. Got the beef for Christmas dinner and most of the rest of the things on my shopping list. Decided not to go in B&M for a mooch in view of the increased risks. Came home to find the workmen gone and Peter had cleared up all the dustsheets from the floor but still found it hard to snap out of my gloomy mood.


 




No comments: