Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 27 December 2020

Windy.

Storm Bella raged through the night. It would have been great to watch but by daylight the winds had died down to just 'windy'. Listening to the wind in the night I could hear a few things clattering outside though when I looked in the morning the recycling bins were still there behind the wall. At one point there was a distinct tapping which had I been alone might have been scary. I haven't been able to locate the source of that particular noise. I didn't think to check the back garden until later in the afternoon when I found the fence leaning alarmingly into our garden. I found some wood to prop it up and stop it collapsing altogether but I guess that's the next thing to do. The  local builders' merchant isn't open until the New Year but we can measure up tomorrow and reassure the neighbours that we will get on asap. We don't actually know whose responsibility that fence is but best to just do it. We only need to go about 4ft up as the neighbours' garden is higher than ours. Fence panels are probably not a good idea as they are more vulnerable to strong winds so instead we'll put up planks with a gap between. 
The storm has affected many parts of Wales, the UK and Europe and the latest forecast is for snow and rain everywhere except for the coastal region so we may be seeing snow up on the mountains tomorrow.
I'm feeling a lot better today but have continued to take things easy as it takes very little to set the ribs off. Did more felting but not overwhelmed with my efforts so far.
It hasn't felt too cold at all so one thing I did do was to wander round the garden trying to work out the best way to begin the grand plan. Looking at the walls built from concrete blocks with a stonework finish on the fronts they do seem to have stood the test of time and while I would prefer to have the walls of the raised beds painted white maybe they would be better. I'm even trying to see if I could re-use the blocks that are already there but most of them make up walls that need to stay but will be buried at the back of the raised beds. (Does that make sense?)
A few splashes of colour around the garden and plenty of bulbs already appearing. It's going to be so hard to pace myself and not overdo things when I'm able to get back to working.

 

No comments: