Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 3 February 2023

Recipe, Which Recipe?

Still mostly grey today with just a short sunny spell in the afternoon.
With no alarm set to wake me up I still woke early. Though 5.30 is too early in my book when it's still dark outside. I'm hoping that my old bones will eventually adjust to leaping about in disco aerobics and I won't ache so much afterwards. It's the same lady that teaches Pilates so I feel confident that she wouldn't have us moving in a way that might damage our bodies. I've moved from being right at the back of the hall to half-way down but I'm thinking about arriving earlier so that I can grab a spot down at the front as it helps to see what her feet are doing. 
So this morning I was out of bed early, did my Duo Lingo after preparing breakfast and only then sat knitting on the sofa wth the tv on. I've been knitting inbetween jobs today and have got up to the thumb on the second of the fingerless mittens I'm knitting. I'm making up the pattern as I go along so I haven't done the thumb on the first mitten either, I might crochet the thumbs but I'm not sure yet.
As I was up nice and early I soaked some mixed dried fruit in tea to make a bara brith for Peter as he was nearly at the end of the last one I baked. Last time I baked a bara brith I noticed the mix was very stiff and added a second egg to soften up the mixture. It was the same again this time so I added a little milk. It was only after I had put it in the oven that I thought to go and check if the recipe on-line matched my written down version and no it didn't. I'd written down 1lb of mixed fruit, 1lb of self raising flour and 9oz of sugar which I've been reducing and got to 4oz. When I looked at the BBC Good Food page today the amounts were in grammes and were 10oz of fruit and 12 oz of flour with half a pint of tea. No wonder I was having trouble with the mixture. "Oh well", I thought "I must have been away with the fairies when I wrote it down" and made adjustments to my written recipe. However ......... to double check I looked on the BBC Food page again. I found the original recipe and I hadn't made a mistake. That was odd but then again every home had their own recipe so there must be lots of variations. Peter finds all my offerings very tasty.
 

1 comment:

Granny Marigold said...

Soaking dried fruit in tea in order to make a tea bread sounds tasty. Most home made dishes whether savoury or sweet are better than store bought.
Thanks for visiting my blog. Granny Marigold