Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 24 February 2023

Selfies on the Beach.

The day began with light rain. Weather to match the sad realisation that it has been a whole year since Russia began to wage war upon Ukraine. All this brought about by one man's greed for money and power. It's depressing to think that mankind's instinct for survival degenerates so easily into a loss of humanity and a disregard for others. Listening to the news  there are so many atrocities being commited both in wars and corrupt regimes that it is hard to know what we can do on a personal level. It's not possible to fight every cause so I guess we just have to find our own ways to make at least some difference to other's lives.
It was still raining in the morning when I went out to pick up Peter's prescription from the pharmacy. While I was there I casually asked if they had anything for me as once again we've got out of sync and seem to be forever trotting down to collect our pills. They were just making up my prescription so I sat and waited for five minutes until it was ready. That has saved me an extra walk next week. Don't get me wrong, I haven't become bored with having to walk by the sea to get to most places in the village it's just that if I collect my prescription then I have to take a bag or backpack for all those bulky boxes and I much prefer strolling along the beach without having stuff to carry.
Today I had my backpack with me and with my camera safely tucked inside a plastic bag I went down to walk along the beach to see what the recent high tide had brought in.

I saw my first barrel jellyfish and lots of multi-coloured bubbles nestled amongst the shingle.
I didn't spot it at the time but now I can see my reflection in many of the bubbles. I call this my version of a selfie.



A little more rain, a rainbow and then a glorious afternoon and sunset.
I spent the afternoon working on the shelves. I had a bit of a hiccup when I made the last shelf. I'd saved a shelf from the old cupboard to re-use, wise move. The alcove walls are not level so I had to make a few adjustments and measure each shelf separately. My problems began when I decided to lower the bottom shelf and needed to trim it to fit between the skirting boards. By the time I'd lugged the wood out to the garage my old brain had knocked 2cms off the measurement and I cut too much off the board. While sitting and contemplating my silly mistake I realised that the shelf needed to be above the level of the skirting boards so even my original measurement would have been too small. Luckily we kept all the usable wood that had been up in the loft and there was a piece that I could cut down but it was a daft thing to do. But by the end of the day all the shelves were cut and all bar one have a strip of wood across the front to make them look chunky. 
Quite a pretty sunset.

 






No comments: