Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 8 March 2009

Knitting Memories.

We've had some sunshine today but most of the time a real storm has been blowing. The wind has been howling in the trees and we've had thunder and lightning as well as some sleet showers. I decided not to take a chance on the road being safe in the morning and drove the car up the hill in the afternoon.

I took the opportunity to go for a walk along the road down to Ashelford corner.



I could see Arlington Court ( a small stately home maintained by the National Trust), several miles away across the valley.


It was a bit harder walking back against the wind and the rain and stinging hail were making life uncomfortable as I walked back down into the valley.
Once home I settled back to my paperwork, aarrgh, and then well wrapped up went up into the loft to start making an inventory of what's up there. Not a nice job as the loft is freezing cold and only about 4 ft high so you have to crawl around on your knees. It's going to be a hard job to deal with all the stuff up there especially all my mum's art work - drawings, paintings and sculptures. I found a few things that can be chucked out, I mean if we haven't needed them in 15 years then we obviously don't need them. No luck with the paperwork I was looking for but I found a box of boxes of wool , all carefully sorted into colours. These date back from the days when I had the time to do things like knitting. I was very taken with Kaffe Fasset's designs. I liked the idea of being able to create something beautiful from all my wool oddments. Nowadays I my time is limited though over the last few years I've used up most of my wool crocheting blankets for the sitting room. Very nice to snuggle under on these cold winter evenings. I've one on my knees right now, the woodburner creates a bit of a draught around the ankles as well as lots of heat.
So I just had to get Kaffe Fasset's Glorious Knitting down off the shelf.

I wasn't too ambitious and made this jumper in a toddler size in shades of blue and purple.

I used this design in a pram blanket, a little less complicated than these knitted dresses.

3 comments:

Marrisa said...

Oh my, knitted dresses! I have just taken a similar cloud photo as we have had a strange morning of sunshine showers and rainbows. I wanted to do some gardening but its all too muddy now. Hope the paperwork is going well xx

Domestic Executive said...

One of the things I lugged to the charity shop before I left the UK was a suitcase of wool, patterns, fabric and other craft bits and bobs. The assistant on duty thought they'd got a lucky shift!

I love visiting National Trust properties, it's the one thing I'm really looking forward to doing again when we visit the UK this year. Great pictures, I love seeing where you live.

happyone said...

I like your road signs. :-)
I like knitting on afghans during the winter because they keep you warm while you knit!
Thanks for recommending the author Marcia Willet - I'll check her out.