Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 5 March 2009

Overnight Snow.

Quite a bit of snow fell last night so I got to have a snowy walk up to the car this morning.


The snow was fairly slushy so after removing several inches of snow from the windscreen I made progress at a steady 15 mph. When I got to the main road, surprise, surprise the gritters had not been out so conditions were not much better. Both of my eyes were firmly glued to the road ahead but as we were in a slow convoy I took a chance and allowed my camera to take its own shots through the window just giving it a little time to focus before pressing the button. I was quite pleased with the results.











It had also snowed heavily in Barnstaple so the children were excited to see the snow. The bright sunshine quickly melted the snow and ice and by the afternoon I was able to take the children outside for an active PE lesson.



Although no more snow is forecast the night temperatures are predicted to be low so once again I parked at the top of the hill. This gave me the chance to take more pictures of what hopefully is the last snow of the winter. (I saw the first lambs out in the fields yesterday.) Around Barnstaple and on all the south facing slopes the snow had completely disappeared but up in the hills there is still plenty of snow on the north facing slopes.

3 comments:

happyone said...

I like the picture with the snow in the foreground and the green farther out. Makes a nice contrast.
At least the snow didn't last long. The snow around where I live is now gone and we are having some nice spring like days.

SharpScott said...

I've done the picture taking while driving at freeway speeds (55-80 mph). With the latest camera which has software to cancel out some blur it is surprising how many shots stay in focus. A few however do sometimes miss what I thought I was shooting. :-)

The snow pics have been wonderful, I do feel for you having to deal with it to get to work. In central Arizona the closest we ever get to snow that stays on the ground is to see it on the hills to the North.

Marrisa said...

Ruta these photos are amazing. I love the one of the lone tree. I had similar shots sent by my parents too that live in similar countryside xx