Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 10 August 2012

Hot Again!

The temperature went up to the low 30's today, hot but bearable with the breeze that blew for most of the day. I decided that I'm ready to start walking up the hill again, it's only half a mile to the road but with the steep uphill start it does give a bit of a workout. I was out before breakfast (not that early though), and the day was so nice that I carried on and walked on past Ashelford Corner.
Most of the local farmers 'tidy' the hedges and keep them cut to about 8ft but in a few places the trees have been left to form shady tunnels. As well as being a cool haven on the occasional hot days I just think they are so romantic.

I walked right up to the point where I took Wednesday's photos - a little different today. Back home I celebrated the return of summer by having a pot of fresh coffee with my breakfast which naturally was eaten outside. Then after some tidying up and loading the washing machine it was time to rest. As I sat reading my book by the scree garden I heard a commotion overhead, looking up I could see about 20 swallows and that blasted sparrowhawk right in the middle of them. I thought I was about to witness a massacre but then realised that the hawk was being mobbed by the swallows. They kept diving at its tail which it didn't seem to like until eventually they drove it right away. Hooray!



1 comment:

happyone said...

I love how the trees make a tunnel!
A walk before breakfast is as you know the way I start every day - my favorite time of day.