Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 24 August 2012

Windy.

The day has been sometimes wet and sometimes dry but always windy and overcast. It was an early start for me as Linas needed to be at the station by 8.00. He's been looking forward to this day for a while as his girlfriend was flying in from N. Ireland to stay here for a week. Linas went up by train to meet her at the local airport near Exeter and they were back in Barnstaple by 1.30.
Back home I decided to take myself off for a walk despite the occasional brief shower. It was good to be out especially as I had missed a couple of days of my 'exercise' regime. As it was so windy I walked down to Ashelford Corner and then down the rough lane to the gateways that overlook our valley. In the hedgerow were some hogweed plants some of which were white and a few were pink. At 6ft they are not as tall as the Giant Hogweed which can be double that but they share its toxic properties. They contain an especially nasty chemical which causes your skin to come up in a painful rash on later exposure to sunlight.
 Out of the wind it was pleasantly warm and I was glad I had changed back into my shorts.
The only problem was the mud on the road. It wasn't so bad on the roughest part of the lane but on the road itself, especially under the trees, where the mud kept flicking up onto the backs of my legs. That's what you get for wearing flip-flops. I like walking in flip-flops because they are the nearest to walking barefoot which I feel is the most natural way. I do wear proper walking boots when we are out on the cliffs because there are lots of stones and steps to negotiate and you need the extra grip.

PS Last night we had a lovely meal of new potatoes, broccoli and salmon steaks marinated in soy sauce, ginger and chilli. But we didn't get to watch Eclipse as the disk kept stopping. I'll have to wait until they send a new disk.

No comments: