Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 13 August 2012

Overcast.

I was disappointed that I hadn't gone out for a walk yesterday so even though rain was threatening today I took myself up the hill. It was warmer than I had thought so I left my bodywarmer on a fencepost halfway up the hill. I was mainly concerned about protecting the camera if it did rain but I only felt a few drops when I was on my way back.
Walking along the crest of the hill towards Oakwill I was refreshed by the warm wind. With the noise of the wind in the trees it felt as though I was walking by the sea. From the gate at the bend in the road I could see right down to the sea. Today's walk was still only about 2 miles. Of the circular walks from our place there is only one short one and you have to cut back across the fields off the footpath which I don't really like doing. The other circular walks have long sections along a busy road or between high hedges. However it is still lovely to be able to go for these short walks.

At home I got down to some gardening, cutting back the alchemilla around the pond.

Last night I watched the Olympics closing ceremony and I enjoyed every minute, in fact I thought it was much better than the opening ceremony.
Although I have had the opportunity to watch the Olympics I'm just not that interested. I've watched the occasional competitor and taken note of the medal table but I think I'm more in tune with Mary Beard - read her blog here
I think the most impressive aspect of the show was the pixel array which created a lightshow across the whole of the seating areas. For sheer spectacle the prize must surely go to Annie Lennox singing 'Little Bird' aboard Dracula's ship. Though as I am easily pleased the taxi that turned into an enormous octopus during Fatboy Slim's set came a close second. For emotion I would pick the sung & signed rendition of 'Imagine'. I will admit to singing the whole of that with tears running down my cheeks. Eric Idle singing 'Always look on the bright side' brought back the memory of a day many years ago when I was laid up and feeling miserable. Peter taught the song to the the boys, who were very young, and then brought them up to sing it to me and yes it did cheer me up. It was great show last night but the cynical side of me can't hep thinking 'Bread and circuses'. (Juvenal.)
Photo from the web.


1 comment:

Harriet said...

Thank you for "crocosmia"...shall see if it's available in the states. Today is gray here so I took a walk through your photographs. Must say it was lovely.