Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 20 August 2012

Sunny.

Last night we were treated to a cacophony of sound from our local owls. Our bedroom has windows facing both east and west and from either side we could hear owls calling. Usually it is easy to tell which of our 2 species we are listening to, the Tawny owls do the standard whoo hoo while the Barn owls make a raucous screech, while last night we were hearing a lot of burbling followed by a screech that ended in a whoo hoo. I assume this is some sort of mating call, it went on for quite a while right next to the house before they went further up the valley. A quick check has found that Tawny owls make a higher pitched squawk (described as kweech) as well so I think it was a pair of Tawny owls that we were listening to. We rarely see the Tawny owls but occasionally we see the much larger Barn owls sitting on the fence posts at dusk.
The day started off looking as if it was going to rain but then it all cleared up and we have had a lovely afternoon and evening. The butterflies are finally returning to the garden. There were 5 different species on one bush and later I saw 6 peacock butterflies on a buddlia. Hopefully if this good weather continues we will have even more butterflies when the sedums in the garden flower.
I waited until the afternoon for my walk and took the usual route out to Okewill. I like going that way because there are some good viewpoints from field gate along the way. First from the top of our drive there are views north to Trentishoe Common and although it is hidden there is the knowledge of the sea just beyond. (On a good day you can glimpse the tops of the Welsh mountains from there.) Then after the road bends at Ashelford Corner there are great views eastwards with Arlington Court in the foreground and the hills of Exmoor beyond. I had my binoculars with me today and spent some time trying to place the various buildings seen from a different angle along the road out to Blackmoor Gate. Finally at the next bend in the road the views are southwards and if I climb up on the gate I can see Barnstaple a few miles away with a glimpse of the sea and then the plateau of Dartmoor rising up 60 miles away.
I've seen this family out before. Mum rides her horse while Dad cycles along with their baby in a child seat. A lovely way to enjoy a fine afternoon.
When I first passed the calves' field they were hiding in a corner but as I returned they were up by the gate. I spent some time hanging over the gate and crooning to them in a 'farmerish' fashion until they got brave enough to get right up close and one even had a good sniff of my hand.
Before my walk I had another weeding session on a bank means where I don't have to do much bending. Once my 'jobs' were done I was able to sit outside to read. I've read The Sillmarillion several times but but I've been saving The Sons Of Huron until I had a quiet time as it is a book that requires concentration. I love Tolkien but the linguist in him made the development of the numerous languages spoken by men, elves, dwarves etc an integral part of his books. Each character and place is given a name in several different languages and sometimes a second name after a significant event. Along with the long time span and the many characters I'm finding it helpful to write annotated family trees while I read. But yes I do enjoy it. I must be a real enthusiast because I enjoy the prologues and appendices as much as the text. When I finish this book I might reread The Silmarillion and then some of the Unfinished Tales and then finish up with LOTR & The Hobbit before the film comes out at Christmas.

No comments: