Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 26 August 2012

Sunny.

I've had a very full day today. After years of waking several times a night I had just started sleeping through the night when this morning I woke at 4.00 with restless legs. I couldn't keep still even for 10 seconds so after half an hour I got up and came downstairs to read blogs. By 6.00 I was ready to go back to bed but the dawn sky looked quite interesting with black streaks across the grey sky. By the time I had put some clothes on over my pyjamas and slung my camera and binoculars across my shoulders, streaks of orange and gold had been added to the sky.
This was the first time I had been up so early this summer though I am normally a morning person. It was good to be out enjoying the first rays of the sun lighting up the clouds. But before I could set off up the hill I spotted Coral grazing on the unfenced grass between the fields. So I had to walk through the wet grass, catch her and take her back to her own field.

But when I returned from my walk she was out again. I put her back in the field again and tried to tie up the  (turned off) electric fence but she simply barged her way out again. I walked down to Paul and Sarah's house to let them know about Coral but only the dogs barked when I knocked on the back door. I knew that this is only day of the week that they get to have a lie-in so I went back home to ring them instead. That only got me the answer phone so out I went again intending to catch Coral and walk her down to the stables and shut her in an empty loose box but Sarah had got up and found Coral down by the yard. Coral is on a diet at the moment to lose all the extra fat she put on when she fooled everyone into thinking she was in foal which is why she keeps trying to escape.
It was such a lovely day that Peter and I decided to go down to the beach for an hour. But so did the rest of the world and his uncle. As we approached Woolacombe we could see that there was a 2 mile tail back so instead we took the back way down through Morthoe. We were lucky to find a small parking space along the road above Barricane Beach. On our return journey the tailback had increased to over 3 miles, right back to the veterinary hospital by Mullacot Cross.
The weather was absolutely glorious with the sun sparkling off the green and turquoise sea. The waves were coming in cleanly and looking towards Woolacombe the beach and sea looked as if they were covered with black ants.
 We sat up on top of the cliff enjoying the view with a cup of coffee.
We then walked down to onto the beach which was very crowded especially with the high tide. I wouldn't have minded the crowds if we had been staying because as well as the beach smells of barbecues and suntan oil there was the happy burble of families enjoying themselves (no radios thank goodness). I just wanted to wade into the water as this is the first time this holiday that I have even been to the beach. In the summer a tea hut appears on the beach with benches and tables, where you can have tea or coffee from china cups and and fresh made sandwiches and snacks. They were also advertising their Sri Lankan curry evenings. I can imagine nothing nicer than having a meal at the beach while watching at the sun set over the sea. Coincidentally I spoke to a friend later who ate there last Thursday and she said the food was wonderful. Naturally it is not an option right now but they will continue with their evening curries until the middle of September by which time I should have had my operation and will be able to enjoy the food.
And that was not the end of our gallivanting. In the afternoon we went to the gig club's barbecue which was being held at a pub in town. As I knew I wouldn't be able to eat any of the food I brought along a couple of wholemeal bagels and sliced tomatoes and red onions with a little pepper and lemon juice. So I was able to make myself some very tasty bagels and not feel left out. After the barbecue we sang sea shanties and then  it was time for a game of Killer Skittles. Skittles is the traditional pub game in North Devon and is taken very seriously. Every traditional pub has a skittle alley and will have at least one team that competes in the local league. 
Killer skittles is more of a fun game. Any number can play taking it in turns to roll one ball each. If you fail to knock down at least one skittle you lose a point and if you lose 3 points you are out. It differs from the serious game in that the skittles are not replaced after each player but only when all of them have been knocked down. So if you are left with 1 skittle it's that much harder than if the whole set is up. Mind you a number of people managed to roll the ball between all the skittles without touching any of them. 
It was a game of much hilarity and joshing, oohs and ahs. Peter hasn't played in a team for over 10 years but he managed to come 4th being beaten by 3 people who play regularly as team members. Even though I couldn't join in with the food or the skittles it was a fun afternoon/ evening and I got to chat with quite a few people. 

No comments: