Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 29 January 2014

Gloomy.

It rained for most of the morning only stopping just before I set off for work. I didn't do much in the morning, not once I'd done the usual housework but I made up for it later on. I had my usual fun afternoon with the little children. I took my group of readers over to a room that is used for nurture groups where we could sit in a nice cushioned area. For some reason I spent the whole time is a kneeling/sitting position with all my weight on my ankles. It was so hard to get up and what was worse I had to literally hobble back across the playground where parents were already waiting to collect their children. I was back to normal once I got to the main building but the parents must think I'm a right old wreck.
Before I left for work I checked on-line and the latest forecast was for snow/sleet showers tonight. It didn't look like a snow sky but I left the pug up at the top of the hill in case of the dreaded ice. When I got home, after a chat with Jack who had ridden up on his bike, I realised that I had an opportunity to paint the chimney as it had been dry for a while. I put the paint and a brush in a bag with decent handles and very cautiously made my way up the ladder. There would have been a time when I would not have gone up so high but Lundy did a lot to cure my fear of heights. Even so I clung on very tightly and went up slowly counting every rung - 25 in all. It's amazing what you can do when there isn't any other option. It wasn't so bad once I was up there and it didn't take too long to get a coat of paint on. I thought I might have a problem getting back on the ladder but it is securely tied on. Another coat or 2 and the scaffolding can go. The other chimneys could also do with a lick of paint but there is NO WAY I am walking along the ridge tiles to get to them even though I've seen Fred do it when he put the wire cages over the tops of the chimneys.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Ruta, You amaze me!!! I, too, have a dislike of high places. I would never, never walk on our roof--actually I would never climb as high you did.

You did make me giggle----sitting on your feet and wobbling away. That I can identify with completely. Because I have several years on you, I will forewarn you the day will come when to simply kneel to garden will be a challenge. Until that time...keep on being amazing!!!