Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 15 January 2014

Warmer.

Unlike yesterday's frosty morning (picture above), today has been really mild. So mild that I was able to do my gardening without a coat. But before I could go out to do some weeding there was a knock on the door and there was the BT man. "We cancelled you last night after we were told the fault was in the house and we would have to pay £130." I wailed. "Not to worry ."said the repair man, "The socket in the house is BT's responsibility and it has probably been damaged by the lightning  just like the neighbour's." Phew, big sigh of relief as I let him in and out came the biscuits along with the cup of tea he was happy to have. It wasn't much to change the socket and he advised that we monitor the broadband speed for a month and then complain if it is below the 0.25 Mb which is the lower limit we must get. Also, unlike Mr Doom & Gloom's (aka Pete) prediction we would have the line fixed within a week if we lost it altogether.
I went in a little early to work so that I could call by the garage to see if the rattle in the micra's engine was normal old car rattle or just about to fall apart rattle. At first things were looking good as the oil was found to be rather low. After some oil was put in a small oil leak was spotted but then came the bad news. The continuing rattle was coming from the timing chain which not only could break at any time and destroy the engine but the cost of repair far outweighed the value of the car or a replacement. Then to top it all Alec said he had sold a car a few days ago that would have suited me. A small car that had belonged to an elderly gentleman for £600. I've just given Pete the good news and he is going to ask around at his work. The trouble is I don't even know if I want to drive the micra. What if it packs up while I'm on the way to work?

1 comment:

happyone said...

Nice frosty picture!