Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 30 January 2014

No Snow.

The forecasts weren't quite accurate when they predicted some snow for last night and then for this afternoon. It did look like a snow sky this afternoon but it has held off. The latest update doesn't predict anything now until Saturday morning. I use Metcheck which gives a forecast for every 3 hours for your postcode. This morning I got up early enough to give the chimney 2 coats of paint.I'm getting used to climbing up the ladders and don't have to put both feet on every rung on the way up.
I took my camera up with me to take a few pictures. It's weird how looking from above flattens out all the contours of the garden.  The middle lawn is about 5ft above the front patio and the scree garden is about 10ft above the lawn and that's a really steep hill beyond.
Having left the pug up the hill yesterday I walked up and brought it down to the house to make my journey to work simpler. More Henry VIII this afternoon and yet more visitors who came in just as the children were crashing about going to get their coats before lining up ready for playtime. I teach the Year 1 & 2 children that while I don't mind them chatting as they sort themselves out once they see me standing at the front of the line I expect them to be quiet. Without saying a word (except in the early stages) I stand there and hold up my fingers counting off the seconds. It's up to the children to notice and quieten themselves. On a good day they do this in 4 seconds but the average is 10 -15 seconds. It teaches them to be observant and saves me the stress of telling them to be quiet. All the classrooms have concrete steps to the playground so it is important that they go out calmly, we have enough bumps and crashes in the playground as it is.

No comments: