Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 12 November 2015

Got my Jaw Sorted.

Back to greyness today. The light drizzle did not put me off working outside and I was happily weeding away when the telephone engineer turned up to disconnect the cable. He was lucky to find me at home as I hadn't received any message either by phone or email to say that he would be coming today. As it was I had a photo from the last time that manhole was dug up in 2011 so that he could find it under my perfectly manicured (not) lawn. The only digging tool he had was a crowbar so I had to lend him a fork and shovel. 
He finally opened up the manhole to find it half full of water due to the risen water table. The water isn't a problem as the cables join in a sealed unit which is fixed above the water level. Then he went across to our neighbours and cut the cable at that end. When he tried to pull the cable out it wouldn't come through. Some time back our neighbour had disturbed the cable in his yard when he was digging out the drains and it was probably caught on rocks in the ground. The phone man replaced the concrete cover and the soil and now I have to wait for a different team to come and cut the steel conduit that runs across the stream. I gave him tea and a flapjack before he left. Because his van was so long it took a lot of maneuvering to turn it around and up the drive and my lawn at the sides of the drive is a bit squashed.
By the time he left it was time for me to go, first to the doctors' surgery to have a blood pressure check up. This was done by the nurse there. The first reading was a bit high but she left me sitting for 5 minutes and the next reading was fine. She also said I could have a free flu jab even though I'm not in one of the 'at risk' groups. But when I told her about having some dental work done she said it wouldn't work if I was given antibiotics which was a possibility. So now I'll have to make another appointment for my jab.
I was up at the hospital in plenty of time for my appointment. Before the consultant started I asked him to check out a couple of places where I sometimes get aches but he couldn't find anything even on the x-ray they did last time. He had a junior dentist with him doing the suction tube and he asked if I was okay with a running commentary which was fine by me. He didn't say that much but it was interesting to hear what he was doing. Being a consultant he was very skillful and the whole process was quite bearable. It did crunch a bit as he scraped the bone to make sure it was clear. Apparently there was a cyst there which might well have preceded the tooth extraction back in the summer. He gave me about 4 injections and the last one did ping a little - and at the back of my neck which was weird. He must also be good at interpreting mumbling patients as he carried on a conversation with me even when the side of my face had gone numb. I asked about the injections as they seemed very effective and yes they were stronger than the ones you normally have. Even now 3 hours later the sensation is only just starting to return. The aftercare nurse advised that I take painkillers before the numbness wears off and I may well have a swollen face for a day or two. One good thing was that the stitches are dissolving ones so I don't need a follow up appointment. I also asked him if my teeth needed cleaning by the hygienist as I'd had a reminder phone call message from my dentist but he said they were fine. That was good as it costs £40 which isn't covered by Peter's insurance. As instructed I'm going to take things easy for the next couple of days ie eat ice-cream and watch tv.


2 comments:

happyone said...

Glad things went well and hope you heal quickly.
You would think that the worker would bring the right tools for the work he had to do.
A morning of rain here but then it got VERY WINDY.

Ruta M. said...

He said he did have a spade but had left it somewhere! I don't think he was expecting the manhole to be 6" under the lawn.