Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 21 November 2015

Winter Lodgers.

How is it that I can sleep through Peter snoring, the rain crashing down on the plastic conservatory roof, the windchimes clanging and the wind howling around the house yet one small mouse-thing can wake me up not once but twice in the night? The first time was at 2.00 am. Once I had realised what the scratching, scraping sound was I leapt out of bed at the same time as switching on the light. I had forgotten about my headphones so the radio crashed to the floor but the noise continued. Eventually I realised that the noise was coming from the loft above and not from somewhere in the room so I went back to sleep after thumping on the ceiling a few times to quieten the mouse down. I was woken once more at 5.00, this time the scrabbling nibbling noises in the loft were coming from the other side of the room just over my desk and very loud they were too. More thumping on the ceiling and back to sleep I went. I know the field mice come in during the winter but what on earth will they be eating? Have they been trailing up to the loft all summer hiding away supplies or are they just eating their way through the things I've got stored up there? At least that would solve the dilemma of what to do with all the stuff in the loft and I could throw it all out. Today I climbed up the ladder and put the big live-trap mouse box up in the loft. Hopefully I may be able to evict some of our winter visitors.
I'm not too surprised that the mice have decided to move in. Although it was lovely and sunny this morning it was bitterly cold. Friends around the country are reporting snow and Peter tells me there was a brief flurry of snow here. 
I spent my afternoon in town collecting the big cake tin I'm hiring from the cake shop and buying everything I need for my cake making week. I had foolishly not taken a coat and by the time I got to town it was windy and raining heavily. Luckily I keep an umbrella in the car though it was hard to handle a big golf umbrella in the wind and avoid other shoppers. Fortunately the rain stopped after a while. I was also looking for a cheap furry throw that I could cut up to make 2 cushion covers. The excellent quality but 30 year old covers on 2 feather cushions did not survive their last wash. It was hard to find a colour that would blend in the sitting room and in the end I compromised with a petrol blue throw from Primark. It was dark by the time I got home and I have to admit to feeling rather tired.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

In Michigan, we got our first snow today. It began early in the morning coming out of the east which was strange as the weather forecast said westerly winds. Anyway, grass, trees and shrubs have a lovely frosting on them. Looks very nice. We celebrate Thanksgiving this coming Thursday and the temps are to be in to 50 degrees. I'm sure the snow will be gone soon and will return. We've been advised that our winter will be warmer than usual.

What is the lovely bird?

lea said...

I love those birds. I saw them when I was in Germany (they're called Kohl-meise there)and I thought that they looked familiar. When I came home I looked them up and sure enough, they are in the same family as our beloved Chickadees!