Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 20 November 2015

Winter's here.

This morning I phoned the hospital to talk about my stitches which were driving me absolutely crazy. I had been so pleased when the nurse told me they were dissolving stitches which should fall out in 7-10 days. How innocent I was. 7 days on and they looked and felt as strong as ever. It was impossible not to poke at them with my tongue but that just made things sore while the stitch at the front of my gum was verging on the painful. Luckily when I spoke to the nurse in the maxilla-facial dept she said I could be seen in the morning clinic if I could get there in time. I put away my breakfast, got changed into proper (not working-around-the-house) clothes and whizzed down to the hospital. There a nice lady took out the stitches, said there were no signs of infection only some ulceration where one stitch had been and I was out again in 10 minutes. And my mouth felt so much better. At least I didn't have to use my fall-back plan of taking the stitches out myself.
I was driving home in a cheerful mood when I turned into the top of our road to find 4wd vehicles churning up the ground at the top of the hill where we park in icy conditions and a line of so-called sportsmen waiting to kill pheasants. As I went past I rolled down my window and said (too timid to shout) "sick bastards" because that's what I feel about them
Back home I heated up and ate my abandoned porridge before getting to work taking out the sitting room carpet. I cut it into 3ft -ish strips which I rolled up and tied. I kept going until my little car was filled up with carpet and underlay plus a couple of other items for the dump. I had some other things to do in town so today it was going to be the Barnstaple dump aka the recycling centre. Imagine my irritation when I found out that the carpet and underlay don't go in the same container. About half of my rolls had both rolled together so I had to separate them by the side of the car. I won't be making that mistake again. Eventually everything went in the proper container and I could get on with the rest of my list which included calling in at my dentists to buy another tube of tooth whitening gel. Then I was off to the doctors' surgery for a flu jab. I was called in, jabbed in the arm and given a plaster for a split in my finger which was dripping blood and out again in about 2 minutes. 
When I got home it was lovely to find Peter had got home before me and turned the heating on. The weather has changed with wintry showers and a temperature drop of about 10C (20F). 
The wedding card has made it to its destination so I can now reveal my artistic endeavors. 
I've hardly done any proper painting since I left school but I remembered that you have to start with the lightest colours first. The original photo was of a couple of cake toppers on sale on Etsy. (Sally has bought some smaller ones for their cake.) 

After lots of fiddling around I mounted the painting on dark red before sticking it on a big printed card with a hedgehog decorated message inside as Sally volunteers in a hedgehog hospital.
It may not be brilliant but it was done with love. 
Only 8 days to go !!!!!!!! 

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Your card surprised me....two dragons...and I thought it was going to be gushy, lovey.....I hope they frame it and look at with great fondness as the time goes by. Glad your stitches were taken out. I do wonder...dissolve as in use lye. I had stitches in the summer and the dentist told me she doesn't use dissolve ones because they don't. Hope your days fly by and you enjoy every minute of the wedding.

Ruta M. said...

The NHS website says depending on the type of stitches they can take up to 60 days to dissolve. I cynically think that its just a way to cut down on follow up appointments as a lot of people will think they have to put up with the irritating stitches.