Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 26 August 2017

Warm.

Like yesterday we had blue skies in the morning turning overcast by the afternoon. 
Apart from a couple of forays in the garden first to pull up the grass growing through the London Pride and then to remove the brambles growing in one of the rose bushes, I've been working in the kitchen. Mainly I was baking some cup cakes for the gig club's regatta tomorrow. It looks a poor showing for an afternoon's work but it seemed to take forever. Maybe that was because I couldn't leave the kitchen at any point as the cats are ever eager to taste my cooking. (Nobody has ever told them that chocolate is poisonous for cats.) As Peter's current bout of arthritis has now moved to his foot not only is he unable to do his burger flipping duty tomorrow but he can't drive either so I'll have to get up early to deliver the cupcakes. (I've just checked and the music shop isn't open on Sundays.)
Now that Smarties are coloured with natural food dyes they don't have the vivid pop of the artificial colourings. I used up some white fondant icing from the freezer and a packet of gold sugar sprinkles that came with some frozen profiteroles. We've been watching old episodes of Bake Off and looking forward to having an oven that has temperature controls, unlike the rayburn which is more a case of adjusting the cooking time to the temperature shown on the door. Peter is tempted by the bread baking while my thoughts go more towards cakes but not pastries.

3 comments:

happyone said...

Great job on those cupcakes. I wouldn't mind having one about now. : )

Gerry said...

How do you find time to bake with all the process of moving?

Packing, clearing, recycling, dumping, planning . . . it all takes up so much time. But then I guess women are multi-taskers!

When we moved back from Canada it was the end of winter and we had to get back there (we wintered in England) and move out within 14 days - it was mad, it was furious, it was frenetic! Then a 12 hour drive to Vancouver to air freight stuff home, and then we even managed to sell our large truck on the last full day there. Rewarding, but stressful.

Good luck, maybe a bit of baking would've helped us keep calm.

Ruta M. said...

If things according to schedule we should complete on Nov 3rd which gives us plenty of time (I hope). Some things will be going into storage which we plan to do a few weeks before we move. For me it's all about lists, lists and more lists.