Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 24 August 2017

Windy.

Apart from a few early showers it's been a dry day with a much cooler wind blowing.  I thought it would be a good time to start washing curtains, especially the heavier lined curtains. I would prefer not to pack dusty curtains and also here the water isn't metered and I've got a decent washing line. The pair that I washed today need another day on the line before I run the iron over the linings and hang them back up for the time being.
Then it was time to go back up into the loft. I sorted through one last box of my mother's cut glass and china and it's already sitting in the back of the car ready to go to the charity shop. I will admit to pulling out a few items to keep but I've also cleared out our spare every day plates and they're in the back of the car as well. There are only 4 more things to bring down from the loft and I need to shift the things that are now sitting in the corridor but after sweeping up and tidying in the loft I'd had enough. 
I've finally decided not to take the piano to the new house. I talked it over with the tuner the last time he came and he thought my plan of waiting until we move one final time to get another piano was a sensible one. I don't play it a lot at the moment, just run through the major scales after my guitar practice but I was hoping to spend a lot more time playing when we move. As we're moving to a terraced house that might not be appreciated by the neighbours! Instead I shall get a decent electronic piano so that I can wear headphones and play when and for as long as I like. I've already put an advert in Gumtree and I'll  take a card to the music shop tomorrow where I'll try out some electronic pianos.  I would find it hard not to have anything at all to play.
I was taking a break in the afternoon when my roll of bubble wrap arrived. That's for wrapping up all the pictures. 
Whenever I walked around the garden I disturbed numbers of butterflies who were resting, mainly on the drive and warm stones, trying to pick up some warmth. 


2 comments:

happyone said...

That's a lot of bubble wrap!
Sounds getting an electric piano when you move is a good idea.
Do you think you will miss your house and beautiful gardens?

Ruta M. said...

I'll miss the beauty of the countryside and garden but certainly won't miss the amount of work (and the aching back) needed to keep the garden in shape. After planning for 2 years I have many of my plants ready to take with me and I'll be looking forward to our eventual move to the coast where I can plan an easy to look after garden. As the new house is quite high up we can see hills over the houses in one direction and hills, the sea and the sand dunes in the other. Also it's only 1 street away from the countryside and I'm looking forward to walking through the nearby water meadows of Manning's Pit. I think it would have been much harder to live in a place where there was no countryside at all.