Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 29 August 2017

Wet.

It was somewhat galling to hear the weather forecaster, BBC R4 no less, saying that the day will remain dry while outside the windows fine but steady rain soaked the garden. It cleared for a while in the afternoon remaining decidedly damp and leading to a few later showers. 
In the afternoon I went over to Asda for some more storage boxes. I got 10 boxes and a few other items and sure enough at the till they came up as £3 each. As I put them in the car I wondered if we would need more and decided to go back in and buy a further 10. This time the price came up as £4 each. I had gone to the same cashier and when I queried the price he tried scanning another of the boxes but still it was £4. He explained this by saying the first lot must have been old stock and as they were still cheap I paid up. Then, as I walked through the supermarket foyer I saw a stack of the boxes on promotion at ...... £3! Back in I went to the customer services desk and they soon refunded me the extra £10. That's 24 storage boxes bought this week. Peter has already filled several with the computer stuff he had been keeping in the oak chest of drawers.
Before returning home I called in at the music shop but they don't have a noticeboard that I could have advertised my piano on. I did try the electric pianos and found a decent one that has the same range with the keys being weighted so that they feel like piano keys. As I eventually intend to get an upright piano when we make the move after this I shan't go for an electric piano on a wooden frame with foot pedals for now as that takes up more room and is also more expensive.
I've been 'off' my diet for the last couple of weeks, some overindulgence while our family was here, celebrating the house offer and of course my birthday. Any excuse for chocolate, home baked cake and biscuits. Now I'm back on the straight and narrow which although it doesn't include chocolate, cake or biscuits just means I eat fruit for a snack when I really need one. Not eating bread, potatoes or anything greasy doesn't worry me. They're not things I long for. However I do have the mad habit of torturing myself in the supermarket by always walking down the chocolate aisle and checking out the reductions on the cream cakes. I don't know quite why I do it, maybe for that self righteous feeling when as today I pass by some reduced cream meringues.
Once I got home I did some hand sewing on two of the bedroom curtains I washed yesterday. I ironed them yesterday evening because the room looked bleak without curtains but I found that two of them needed the sides re-hemmed. I made the unlined curtains myself years ago and hand sewed the hems and sides for a better finish. Once I had hung the curtains I cleared most of the stuff from the corridor and also went through my 'best' china cupboard and sorted out another box for the charity shop. 

1 comment:

happyone said...

No rain here today though it did stay cool and cloudy all day.
Most of the stores here and have boxes sitting out back for the trash that people can take and are good for packing.
I too go and take a look at the foods I know I shouldn't eat. Crazy to torture ourselves. : )