Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 19 October 2017

Wet.

A damp, grey morning turned into a chilly, wet afternoon. I think Patch had the right idea sleeping pressed up against the warm rayburn. 
The first thing I had to do this morning was to phone the dentist. Yesterday evening a piece of filling came out while I was flossing my teeth. I've got an appointment but it's not until next Monday. Thankfully the missing filling is not causing any problems and I've got some dental wax which I'm using to fill the hole. The wax falls out when I eat but that gives me a chance to rinse with mouthwash.
While Peter went out, with instructions of where to pick up more cardboard boxes, I had a kitchen day. Alongside baking more chocolate cookies I set to work giving some of our baking dishes and oven trays a good clean. Although we have no need for a dishwasher I buy dishwasher tablets to use for soaking things with baked on grease. As Peter and I generally eat different food in the evenings we cook for ourselves. The washing up is not so delineated, whatever needs washing gets washed by either of us. This system works well apart from the matter of grease. Peter tend towards foods that have some sort of fat content while I don't use any fats apart from olive oil or when I'm baking. Because he places his food on baking parchment on a baking tray Peter feels that it's not that important to clean all the grease off the trays. I on the other hand have the view that if a tray or dish is stainless steel, as most of mine are, then it should be returned to its gleaming state every time, also the outside and bottoms of saucepans. I don't think we are ever going to agree on this so once in a while I scrub away muttering darkly under my breath. In return are mutterings about obsessive cleaning. After over 40 years together we're used to it.
It was too wet this afternoon to think about going out to take photos so it's just a contented Patch for today.
My all-time favourite fruit has got to be mangos. I know they're full of sugar but at least they are fruit and delicious with 0-fat plain yoghurt and I can kid myself they are a healthy treat. This week the usual green/red mangos have been replaced with red mangos. What a disappointment. The one I prepared first was a bit on the soft side, not too much a problem with the other ones but the red one was .... nasty. The other one which wasn't over-ripe didn't have much flavour. I think I'll wait until the usual ones are back in the shops.

2 comments:

happyone said...

I don't have a dish washer either and most people think I'm crazy. Nice to find someone else. : )

Gerry said...

Reminds me of my daughter when a teacher brought in a mango to her primary school. They were never readily available in England at the time (1980s) but I'd bring back loads from Kenya, India or Malaysia and it would be the kids' treat in the bath, the only place to eat them due to the mess they caused! The teacher asked the children what this fruit was and my daughter replied it was an apple mango. That really threw the teacher, but my daughter explained it was a different shape to a normal mango and then even showed her how to cut it (hedgehog style) to get the most from it! The teacher told us all this in hysterics, learning a lesson when she thought she'd gone in to teach one! Nothing worse than 'clever-dick' kids eh!!