Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 9 March 2018

Wet.

Mainly for fun this morning I went to the local auction. Many years ago I would sometimes go there and pick up furniture or stuff for the garden. The auction house is near the bottom end of Pilton Street on the way into town. We knew the previous auctioneer whose children went to the same village school as our boys but it is in different hands now. Some things were the same; the banter between the auctioneer and buyers, mugs of tea or coffee from a tiny office and the chill that gradually creeps up your legs. Other things were different; you can now view all the lots on line and place bids without going to the auction and no longer did some poor lad have to hold each lot up as it came up for bidding, instead there were two big screens showing the lot, its number and the bidding. The auction runs over two days with today's lots being more of the 'collectable' kind. There were a few nice pieces of furniture which went for almost nothing but a many of the lots were 'misc.' boxes of stuff most of which was tat. I had my eye on a box of kitchen stuff which had some cutlery with chunky plastic handles which I've been looking for a long time. I got in one bid then stopped when the bidding went higher. The other lot I was interested in was two pairs of binoculars which I got for just under £15 including commission. One pair of the binoculars weren't much good and will go to the charity shop but the bigger pair (below) were worth the money. I think most of the people at the auction were small time dealers selling the stuff on at antique markets or on eBay. 
I've put the binoculars on my windowsill but today's constant rain blurred out most of the view.
This afternoon I painted the radiators again. One more coat should do it.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Oh yes, auctions are fun and we enjoy going to them too.