Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 17 March 2018

Winter Returns.

......... or as the media put it, the Beast is back. The easterly winds were bitterly cold as I walked into town this morning to buy glue and strong tape so that I could shorten the rope. I'd had to buy 4 metres even though I only needed a little over 3 metres and the cut end needed binding and gluing. I was at the far end of the High Street when the snow began to fall. It was only little bits of snow which didn't settle even though it continued to fall through the day. 
When I got home Wayne was here fitting the panel and the counter top for the bathroom sink. Despite the cold I simply had to get on shortening and fitting the rope barrier. The hardest part was forcing the bolts through the rope to secure it into the metal end caps. I have to say I'm very pleased with the result.
While Peter went off to watch the rugby at the pub I wrapped up well and worked on the flower bed at end of the decking. I dug through the soil to remove the weeds and found more of those horrible bindweed roots. 
Besides removing a bucketful of weeds I moved the stones at the front of the bed right up to the lead flashing. The plant pots have gone back on top of the soil to keep the cats off. By the time I had done that I was relieved to get back into the warmth of the house. 
For a cold day treat I made a batch of apple pancakes as well as putting ordinary and sweet potatoes in the oven to roast. We do appreciate having a gas cooker as the rayburn was never hot enough to make proper roast potatoes.

1 comment:

happyone said...

We had more snow today too. Isn't that a surprise!!! : )
Yummy, those apple pancakes sure sound good.