Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 8 June 2018

Hazy.

Today has been hazy and very humid. The sun broke through for a short time in the afternoon before being hidden once again by the continuous cloud cover.
A pink rose has appeared on an almost dead looking small rose bush under the still magnificent Sweet Juliet.
After a morning of housework including washing the kitchen floor on my hands and knees (couldn't be bothered to go and find the mop & bucket) I took myself outside to work in the fresh air. After breaking up the small wooden pallet  I decided to start wiping down the conservatory. As well as general grubbiness there was a lot of green on the gutter. The nice thing about pvc is that it cleans up well with hot soapy water. When I climbed up on a chair to get to the gutter I found that I could slide off the white piece that covered the end of the roofing sheet. What it revealed was truly disgusting, some sort of yellow/orange slime mixed with a moss extending into the spaces in the roof panel. The only way to get it out was with a small plant stick. The roofing panel is four layers thick and each one needed cleaning. Yuck! To finish off the cleaning I used cotton buds to wipe out the last of the slime. Then I sprayed with a strong weed killer and left it all to dry before putting back the end cover. Tomorrow I shall seal the join with translucent sealer. I've only done one of the panels so far as I had to work above my head which was tiring on my arms. I think the other side isn't so bad but I'll find out tomorrow.
After that I did some relaxing bashing of a large lump of cement which had solidified in the bag and been left in the old shed. It was too big and heavy to either put in the bin or take to the dump so the plan was to reduce it to small pieces that are easier to get rid of. Using a metal stone working chisel I eventually got it done. As I worked I felt like a Neolithic flint knapper when the pieces flaked away with razor sharp edges, small pieces that would have made good hand blades and the occasional large piece similar to a hand axe. (Yes, I had remembered to put on safety goggles)
The unidentified plant in the ceramic planter. 

2 comments:

happyone said...

You've had a good hard days work!!
I always wash the kitchen floor on my hands and knees. I feel like it gets a better cleaning that way. My mom always did it that way too. : )

lea said...

I have a Jasmine vine that looks just like your mystery plant. It's a very vigorous grower, it got a serious trim this spring! I have the name tag for it somewhere with my seeds and stuff.