Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 3 June 2018

Sunny.

Another bright day with a cooling breeze. 
The air was clear enough to see both the lighthouse at the bottom of Hartland Point and the  Ministry of Defence's Radar Station up on top of the Point. Wiki says it can be seen from 10 miles away, hah it's 14 miles as the crow flies and I can see it now silhouetted against the light sky.
The first thing I did today while Peter was out rowing was to move the hanging rail under the stairs over to clear some space so that once I'd replaced the coat hooks on the side wall they could be used for hanging things like backpacks. I also put in another screw so that the mirror by the front door could be placed centrally on that wall as the existing screw was too far over. Because the house walls are built from concrete blocks I had to get out the new big drill. It's so heavy I can hardly pick it up and I nearly gave up trying to fit in the drill bit. No matter how many times I turned the end of the drill or in which direction it wouldn't tighten up. Eventually I realised that the special drill bits turned and locked which I suppose means that you can't use ordinary drill bits. Once all that was done it was simply a matter of a couple of coats of paint to freshen up the walls. Of course the space is now filled with coats etc. so that the walls can't be seen but it wouldn't have been right to leave it. 
While waiting for the first coat of paint to dry I sat out and roasted in the sun. I put the thermometer in in direct sunlight and the red line went right to the top 50C/120F. In the shade it went down to 32C/88F. 
It's almost time to start dead-heading the Sweet Juliet rose. The flowers start off a pale apricot colour then fade to a gentle pink.

No comments: