Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 25 November 2020

Busy House.

It's been a busy day here, for most of the day there were four white vans parked outside the house. Three belonged to the window company and the fourth was our builder's. Peter and our builder had not been happy with a couple of the windows as even after some remedial work it looked as if water was getting in by the sides of the windows. Today the windows came out and it turned out that something had been missed out. (The chaps who did the original installation don't work for the firm any more.) Now, hopefully they've been put in properly but it was a long day with a window in our bedroom and one in my study being out for most of the afternoon. Not only that but early on I took them a cuppa and found there was water flowing across the utility floor - AGAIN! Not the same pipe this time but yesterday Peter and the builder had taken a radiator off the wall. No leaks last night or this morning but I guess one of the windows people must have knocked the pipe. I used up all our mopping up towels and had the kitchen timer set to remind me to empty the container I had under the dripping pipe. At the time Peter was out at Aberystwyth having his back crunched by the chiropractor. The builder wasn't here either because at 8.00 this morning he had a chimney fire. A hole had appeared in the back of the woodburner drawing in too much air causing the flue to get red hot and set fire to the inside of the chimney. Nobody hurt and no serious damage but it took three fire engines to get the fire under control. Understandably he turned up a bit later than expected. He's just gone home after getting the battening done in the utility room.
I've been thinking about the utility room floor and have gone back to the ceramic tile plan. It's only 9 square meters and lino or rather vinyl tiles are not that different in price plus we'd have to remove all the old lino tiles. 
Having spent yesterday researching window film for the front door I saw a lot of tempting designs. Some of the big photo scenes look absolutely wonderful not that I have any need for something like that and the shiny prism-like mosaic designs appealed to my magpie tendencies. One design that we are seriously thinking about is the one below to block out the uninspiring view of next-door's back yard from the kitchen. Because this idea only surfaced during the night today I hadn't got anything bookmarked. I first made a general search and then narrowed it down to Etsy. I then had to trawl through 75 pages of window films to find the best fit. Peter likes it too but before I go ahead and order I'm going to make a mock-up using the translucent tablecloth roll I bought for blocking out the windows. It's made by a German company so is quite expensive, at least in my eyes but still much less than blinds which I don't want anyway. As well as sorting this out I finished off writing up my daily notes. I had to read through all the blog posts since we moved and it's gratifying to see the improvement in the garden.
With Peter back home I was able to take myself off for a walk on the beach on the way to buy some milk. 
It was lovely walking with the sun on my back.
Not the best of photos as with the sun in eyes I couldn't actually see the screen of the phone camera. This is our local lifeboat going out on I presume was just an exercise as there was no hurry as I walked past the lifeboat station. 
It was a couple of hours after low tide so on my return I lost some of the flat sand to walk on and had to walk carefully over the stones. These were quite large, about the size of loaves of bread and larger so I had to keep my eyes down to watch where I put my feet.
I thought the sad seal pup had washed away but it was still there over on the sand.

It has been announced with a great fanfare that lockdown restrictions will be eased over Christmas. Three families will be allowed to get together for five days to celebrate the holiday. So suddenly the virus won't be infectious for those five days? Surely this is more about our government not wanting the bad press for 'cancelling Christmas'. My view is strengthened by the scientists saying this will lead to more deaths and a third wave before vaccination can start. Much as we miss our family we don't intend to put them or us at risk by planning a family get together at the moment.

2 comments:

happyone said...

Sorry to hear about the water problems!
The lino in our laundry room is all one piece, also have it in the bathroom.

lea said...

I really like that window film. We recently had to have a plumber in to replace a section of 70 year old pipe coming from the kitchen sink. It developed a hole and water ran into the basement.