Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 23 November 2020

Grey.

Mostly grey today. It looked as if it would rain in the afternoon but in the end didn't.
Speedy warming up after his morning jaunt outside.

The builder will be starting, or rather continuing work on the utility room tomorrow. (He's here now doing some measuring up.) We still haven't made a decision about the floor yet. To be honest if there hadn't been a hole in the current lino tiles I would have been content to keep them after a good clean. So I'm not putting up too much resistance to Peter's idea of just having lino on the floor. Yes I would prefer ceramic tiles but when it comes down to it my main consideration is that the floor should stand up to being flooded if we have a washing machine mishap so maybe new lino tiles will do.
Something I'm not happy about is the positioning of the switch and socket both of which were put in by the electrician's assistant. Building regulations say there should be no diagonal wires, they should either be vertical or horizontal. Imagine the scenario, some time in the future we decide to put up shelves or cupboards. Before drilling into the wall we look at the socket, avoid the vertical line above it , drill to the side and electrocute ourselves. Guess what? It's going to be sorted. I've made sure to take plenty of photos for when we want to add any shelves or hang the old fashioned clothes airer from the ceiling. Having muttered and moaned about the wiring I needed some fresh air to clear my head and went out to spend time gardening. Ivy again but this time in the front garden behind a couple of hydrangeas. Bramble roots were also under attack and it was a hard job. Down on my knees I dug following the roots deep into the ground. I'd dig a fist sized tunnel following the route of the root (haha ) until there was sufficient length of root to get hold of, give it a pull only to have it break. Examining the broken end it would become obvious that more root needed to be removed so on with more tunnelling. After several repetitions the root might shoot sideways and I'd opt to collapse the earth above the tunnel followed by much digging out. Then would come the identification of the root, bramble and ivy roots both look much like hydrangea roots so in my enthusiasm to dispose of the unwanted roots some of the hydrangeas' may also have gone. Let's hope they don't suddenly keel over in a strong wind. 

For years I've jotted down a few notes for each day at the same time as I write my blog. I then use these notes for writing up each season in my Hobbit Journal which helps me keep track of events in my life me not having a good memory at the best of times. With the chaos of the move and then using a corner of the hall as my admin space I postponed the daily notes until I was 'more organised'. So today it was time to get back on track and I spent the later part of the afternoon going through my blog posts. I've done all bar ten days which is not bad going. This at least showed that quite a lot has been done even though it sometimes feels that things are going very slowly.
 

1 comment:

happyone said...

We have lino in our laundry room and I really like it. Easy to keep clean.