Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 7 November 2020

Dry.

Today began sunny but gradually became overcast as the day went on.
After a little unpacking and putting away things in the big pine cupboard the sun tempted me outside. There I carried on chopping away at the overgrown escallonia at the side of the garden. I was doing pretty well but then I had some thoughts, as you do. Past experience has taught me that the higher the hedge the more difficult the maintenance so I was aiming for just high enough for privacy. But then I realised that my estimation of winter die-back was too generous and that the hedge needed to go down another foot to allow for the new growth in Spring. So everything already done was lowered another 12 inches and I carried on turning a lush green bush into a tidy mass of brown sticks. Sometimes in gardening you have to be cruel to be kind. Two bin bags and one damaged pair of loppers later I was nearly there. At least when viewed from the side.
From the terrace it's obvious there's a lot to come off on the neighbour's side. It's a bit awkward now that I spoke to the guy that does the maintenance and gardening and he said he would do it but hasn't. I guess I'll see how much I can reach from over the top before the loppers stop working alltogether.
After a much needed rest I needed a couple of things from the shop  and naturally that included going for a walk along the beach. 
I kept on going past our usual turnaround point though walking in wellies over the stones is not the most comfortable and makes for slow going. 
Having run out of sand to walk on I eventually gave up with the stones and went up on to the walkway that runs along the sea wall. Looking back (above) I could just make out our home up on the cliff.
On the path I was able to stride along briskly but it was a bit too tame for my liking. It's not that clear in the photos but the path is about 6ft above the level of the stones below.
I got as far as the golf course making my total walk 2 1/2 miles. Not very long but further than I've gone up till now.
 

No comments: