Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 17 November 2020

Grey.

It's been a hazy grey day with low cloud filling the air with gentle drizzle.
With an empty skip in the drive just waiting to be filled there was nothing for it but to tog up after breakfast and get filling. While it was wet -ish, it wasn't that cold so instead of a waterproof coat I put on my old fleece top with the plan that if I got too wet I'd abandon the outside work. As it turned out the fleece was enough to keep me dry. No doubt my hair had gone into ultra frizz mode but I had my ears covered with a headband and that was sufficient. The first stuff to go into the skip was the selection of boards, doors and broken up drawers from the old kitchen. (I've left the cupboards themselves for Peter to have a bit of he-man session breaking them up once his back is better.) Then it was down to the garden to fill my big garden dumpy bag from the heaps of branches on the grass. My bag is about half the size of a builder's dumpy bag so you can get a lot into it. I heaved the first filled bag onto my shoulder and stomped up the pavement to the skip and then realised that was a bit silly when we have a perfectly good trolley. It's a small flat bed trolley which was just right for a bag full of twigs and branches and made taking the branches to the skip as easy as pushing a supermarket trolley. We'd suggested our next-door neighbour put in some bags of trimmings from his garden which he did too.  These are the nice neighbours who are letting us keep the camper in their front drive for the time being. Once I'd cleared all the piles of loose stuff from the garden I climbed into the skip and jumped up and down to squish everything down. Kind of a 'green' trampoline and very effective. My dainty jumping up and down reduced the volume by about 50%.
After a decent rest break, tea and telly, I was ready to get back to putting things in the kitchen cupboards. I opened up all the remaining boxes and spread them around the sitting room to try and make some sense of what was left. I still have to leave the top corner cupboard empty until the doors have been put on so I can't quite organise everything but I'm getting there. I do seem to have an awful lot of plastic containers, might have to get rid of a few, gulp. The next thing to think about is where to put the extra (new) fridge for the time being. The freezer section stopped working for about a week but now seems to be okay but just in case the old fridge freezer will stay in the kitchen and eventually the new fridge will go in the utility room. But it can't go in there until the room has been finished so it has to stay in the kitchen. I'd like to move it across the room so that the big pine cupboard can be slid back into position but that would mean having the wire trailing across the floor which is dangerous. So for now the fridge and pine cupboard remain where they are.
 

No comments: