Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 5 July 2021

Cloudy.

Cooler today but so far only one shower.
Washed some towels first thing, hung them out to dry then brought them back in nearly dry when it rained.
For most of the day I carried on cutting the hedge. The lowest section and the change of level are now done and I've cut a line at the front of the higher section. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to tidy up the high section using the electric hedge trimmer once I've bought a 'step-up' (builders' platform on legs) which I intend to buy tomorrow. While it doesn't look too bad from the street side from our side it looks as if something has bitten a great chunk out of the hedge. It should look better after I've trimmed the shaggy top.
The hydrangea at the far end of the lower section will be shaped in the autumn and I may well take some of the high section lower in the autumn when we won't be out on the terrace so much and the passing walkers have gone home. At the moment if you stand at the far end of the lower section and peer over the hedge you can see into our dinning area and a bit of the terrace but once that's grown up 6 inches people shouldn't be able to see up to the house.
After a rest I had a sort out of light shades for the bulbs that were still hanging bare. I'm fond of plain white spherical paper lanterns and much as I look don't find anything in the shops to tempt me away from them. Yesterday I washed an old painted glass shade that we had hanging over the stairs in Dingles but when I put it up in the utility room it didn't look right. Today I replaced a small lantern from the front hall with an extra large one so that the small one could go on the second light in the inner hall. Now all I need to get are two more shades for the utility room and my study.

 'Our' bit of cliff.

No comments: