Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 14 July 2021

Zoo Day.

Bright and sunny today. At the zoo which is about half a mile from the beach it was very hot while back home there was a strong and cold wind.
One difficulty I have when taking photos of many of the zoo animals is the metal grilles of the pens but today I stood in the flowerbed by the wolf-dogs (the one I weeded) and put the camera lens right up to the wires. 
My main job this morning was working on these two flower beds. I still need to get at the back of the bed on the right. I had an old fleece with me but it was far to hot to put it on which I need to do to avoid getting scratched to death when I wriggle my way behind the bushes. I was able to dig up a clump of some sort of reed? (haven't been able to find it on G images but it was growing in the garden at Broadgate) and transplanted it into the empty space in the flowerbed by the wolf-dogs and had my hand sniffed by a big wet nose at the same time.
I went on to do some weeding in a children's play area. It was easy weeding in deep bark chippings but I'd been out in the sun all morning and even though I always wear a hat didn't want to stay out too long.
I went round to take some photos of the coatis as they and some of the remaining animals are being moved to pens away from the main zoo site prior to the zoo opening to the public next week.
As I walked round I was quite surprised to see the peahen in one of the smaller pens as she is normally wandering free,
until I saw these three chicks, peachicks? I haven't spoken to anyone about them so I don't know if she had a hidden nest or if they knew she had eggs. Maybe the giant fake egg in the rheas' pen inspired her.
When I got home Peter remarked that I looked as if I had been boiled which wasn't surprising considering how hot and sweaty I'd been at the zoo. I did think about doing some gardening after I'd had a rest but decided it was more sensible to simply sit out on the terrace.
 

3 comments:

happyone said...

After your work at the zoo and nice rest on the terrace sounds perfect!!

lea said...

I like the photos of the wolf dogs, but I am curious about them. Are they a cross of a wolf and a dog? A true wolf is not meant to be a pet, and a hybrid can be really unstable, but some people here seem to think it's some kind of status symbol.

Ruta M. said...

You're right, they are wolf dog hybrids. Not something any reutable person would do. I'm not sure exactly where this brother sister pair came from but the zoo's ethos has always been to provide a home for unwanted or neglected animals so I'm guessing they were either unwanted as they matured or confiscated by the authorities.