Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 18 July 2021

Hot.

Another hot day. Yesterday was the hottest day of the year and it may well have been hotter today. It was the perfect day to open up the sitting room doors letting in the fresh air but not the heat. We were sensible and didn't go out in the sun until 4.00.
(Above) 7.30 and the first few were out in the calm sea. By 10.00 (below) the place was filling up. If you look carefully you may spot two riders on ponies in the centre of the photo just above two people in red.
And of course the dreaded jet skis were about. Noisy, wasteful and they disturb the dolphins.
My day has been spent sewing. I began before breakfast and aside from a couple of breaks worked through until 6.00. The long sitting room curtains are done and as well as adding a few extra rings onto the pole I levelled up the pole using some old Blu-tak wedged into the brackets. I'm hoping it won't squish back down as our not-so careful builder who put up the big curtain pole put the central bracket about a cm too high. I also altered the first of the curtains over the side window. (The one on the right hand side.) Originally I was just going to change the extra deep curtain tape for the standard tape I used on the long curtains. Then as the curtains serve no purpose apart from window dressing decided to remove the lining as well. I think they look so much fresher and white than the ones with the lining.
Sorry about the blurry photo but there are at least 19 very cross sparrows sitting on top of the hydrangea,
.............  because Speedy was camped out by their bird bath/drinking place.
Last night we joined our neighbours on the cliff to watch the sunset. It was a convivial little gathering with about a dozen of us by the end.
Our attention was caught by the sight of a large cloud of smoke billowing out from behind the houses. Luckily it stopped not long after without the aid of the local fire engine which lives down by the zoo.  Today I found out on the local FB page that it was a rubbish bonfire in somebody's garden that had got out of hand. Another interesting snippet was the fact that one of the fishermen on the rocks had caught a 5ft conger eel and when it was cleaned it was found to be full of whitebait. I wouldn't have thought there were that many fish so close to shore.

 We've just come back from another neighbourly gathering to watch the setting sun.
The sunset brings out all the photographers from those with tiny phones to people like the chap below with tripod and professional camera set up. It has taken me until tonight to work out that the sun's reflection will always point straight at you, I just thought we were lucky it pointed to our house. I had to walk along the cliff a bit to get this photographer lined up between me and the sun. You learn something new every day.

No comments: