Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 17 June 2022

Heat Wave - Maybe?


The day began with blue skies and a lot of warmth. It looked as if we were going to be part of the short heat wave predicted earlier in the week. However the sea mist began to roll in during the afternoon causing the temperature to drop to nearer the levels predicted in the chart below. From what I hear the rest of the country matched the chart too.
Straight after breakfast out came the bike and I rode down to the community gardens via the pharmacy to try and find out what happened to one item that was missing from my repeat prescription. It turns out nobody knows why the surgery missed it off but it will be ready next week. Dim problem as I have sufficient at home. (I'm sneaking in a bit of Welsh there.)
I was a bit less wobbly on the bike and it helped that I'd found a wrist mirror that shows me what is coming up behind me. I'm finding that I get a bit further up the slopes before having to get off each time but I can also say that an exercise bike, unless you pedal like a maniac, is not a substitute for actually riding a bike.
It's worth looking closely at this amusing pictoral map of the community gardens. (There isn't really a vast burnt area around the camp fire space.)
This is where we had our cake and chat. I haven't looked more into the wooden building but it seems to have information and books about organic gardening and other eco friendly subjects. 
The orchard has a good range of apples, pears and other fruit.

The contemporary stone circle at the top of the hill.

As well as the communal gardens there are standard allotments most of which looked very well maintained. Some have 10ft high hedges planted around them which give protection from the winds blowing from the sea.
A lot of the communal garden is a managed wildlife zone.
Looking back to the wooden building across the camp fire space. 
And now back to my highly ordered back garden. After planting up one more trough by the street wall I levelled up one end of the second big bed and planted sugar snap peas. I tied the old front garden gates together to make a fancy support for the peas to grow up. 


This evening we have been to a party on the beach. Good company, baked potatoes, fire and live music were a winning combination.  This is a local walking group and though Peter has been getting information about the weekly walks so far we haven't made it to any of the walks. Now that he has met people and been reassured that we should be able to manage the walks I'm sure we'll actually be going out with the group.
This was the first time I'd seen Swedish candle logs. They were excellent both for the heat they produced and visually. I took lots of photos of the glowing wood and constanly changing flames. The party broke up as the sea mist began to dampen us all and the darkness fell.

No comments: