Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 15 June 2022

Sunny.

Mostly sunny today with some cloudier spells.
I rode the bike to the zoo. Well I say rode but it was more like a wobble. Maybe I should invest in some trainer wheels. I think part of the problem yesterday was being in too high a gear when I tried to go up the slopes so I began in first and then adjusted up a little. Trust me to buy a bike (from a charity shop) with 15 gears. I was riding along the single track road that leads to the zoo when I pulled over to let the vehicle I could hear behind me go past.Unfortunately the summer growth on the verge hid the fact that there is quite a drop by the edge of the road which made me trip as I put my foot down. Down went the bike and caused me to sprawl in the long grass. How embarassing especially when the workman in the truck that was passing me stopped to make sure I was okay. The ride home was less wobbly but it's going to take a while before my cycling is back to where it was. 
I spent five hours weeding at the zoo. First I finished the small play area and then I moved to the moat around the bantams. It's been a while since I weeded in there but the chickens remember that I push some of the bigger weeds through to them and they wait right next to me. That's fine until one of the cockerels crows right in my ear which he did a lot. For a little chap he's got a big voice. The weeding took a long time as not only had the weeds grown to full size and were firmly embedded in the old carpet under the rapidly diminishing wood chip but I couldn't not roll back the carpet and dig out the dreadful spaghetti-like roots of bindweed that were hiding underneath.
Peter was out rowing when I got home. Even without the taster sessions on Sunday twelve people joined the club and five signed up for this afternoon's row so they were taking a couple at a time out for a short row. When I looked I could see Peter doing some coxing as well as rowing later.
Having so many hands made moving the boat up the beach a lot easier.
Some photos from the forest we visited yesterday.
The trees, especially the native deciduous trees were magnificent as they towered over us. Looking at Google maps I can see that it is part of a commercially managed conifer forest.

The rocks around the parking area are the size of sofas.

These conifers were so tall I couldn't get them in one frame.
Will post some woodland photos tomorrow.
 

1 comment:

happyone said...

The photos are beautiful.
Can see how the fall would have been embarrassing. :) Glad you weren't hurt and it was nice that the man stopped to see if you were ok.