Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 30 June 2022

Sunny.

Despite the yellow weather warning for heavy thunderstorms inland and showers in general it has been a lovely sunny day.
I woke before 6.00 this morning and thought "Hooray, I'll have an early start and get lots done before breakfast." But somehow once I'd let Speedy in and fed him, taken my morning tablets and gone back to bed for a quick lie-in I fell asleep and didn't wake until after 8.00. 
I still rode my bike to the community gardens though in case it did rain I made sure I had a waterproof bag to put my handbag and camera in. I felt a bit more confident on the bike today mainly because Peter lowered the seat so that if I have to stop suddenly I can put my feet on the road to steady myself. 
I got to the gardens in time to do some gardening, the oh-so strenuous task of picking diseased leaves from one of the apple trees, before we all gathered for chat and a buttered slice of bara brith (Welsh tea bread made with tea, dried fruits and spices). My offering of more lettuce went down well too. I'm so glad it's not going to waste. This week I brought along some coffee in a small flask to have with the cake.
The bike ride home was uneventful though I didn't make it any further up the steep slope on the corner of our garden. You have to slow down as you turn the carner in case there's a car coming and then it's hard to pedal uphill. I see a lot of people ride bikes around the corner without any apparent problem but either they're a lot fitter than me (which is not hard) or they're cheating with electric assist bikes.
I needed another coffee to recover before I went down to the front garden for yet more gardening. It might sound as if I'm obsessed with gardening which partly I am but more important to me is to be outside preferable doing something. I'd love to be out walking or taking photos but for now gardening is fine. Today I did a bit more on the steps into the front garden lifting another of the giant paving stones and removing all the plants and soil that had worked their way around it. The montbretia is a bit of a nuisance flopping over the paths especially when the leaves are wet so I tied back most of them with a rope and cut back those that were too close.  To finish I weeded most of the paving as the weeds were getting too big to ignore. That done I did some Duo Lingo and found that the new (computer generated) voices that everyone in the FB group has been complaining for a while about have arrived on my screen. Being faster and louder they are strange and some of the pronunciation is quite odd. 
There was still time to sit out for a while and watch the people enjoying the water. Also for the first time there was somebody in a powered hang glider slowly buzzing along the coast.
 

No comments: