Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 19 June 2022

Windy.

The day began windy, grey and fairly miserable. Later it began to gradually brighten up and by late afternoon though it was still very windy the sea was a dramatic mix of blues and greens with shining white on the tops of the good surfing waves.
It was too windy for the rowing Peter had hoped to be doing in the afternoon but perfect for wind and kite surfing. Yesterday was the first time we'd seen a wind surfer out. I'd put that down to the much bulkier equipment including the long mast needed for wind surfing while the popular SUPs are usually inflatable and fit easily into a car.
Usually I would have wrapped up and gone out to work in the garden anyway but my current projects would have me working right by the garden wall next to the neighbours' sitting room window and as they were here for the weekend I decided to find some indoor jobs.
Something that had been bugging me for a while was the way the curtains in my study were hanging. When I'd added an extra layer on top, as you do, they didn't hang properly from the header tape. It was a simple matter of sewing through all the layers to stop the top of the curtain tipping over. This I did by hand, partly because I wasn't sure how the sewing machine would cope with so many layers and also because I could back up all my photos onto an external hard drive as I sewed and listened to the radio.
Around mid-day we had a parcel delivered from Amazon. It had the wrong name but our address. At first Peter was worried that somebody might be buying stuff on his account but when he checked that wasn't the case. He spoke to Amazon and they just said to dispose of the package as we saw fit. He opened it up and it was a jar of sweets with a Fathers' Day message. No note but we knew it wouldn't be from either of our boys (Peter never eats sweets and the boys don't even send him a card. After i reminded them last week I hear one of them has phoned him which is better than a card.) Anyway I put out messages on four village FB groups to see if anyone recognised the name. We got a call later from one of our neighbours to tell us where this chap lives but by then his wife had already come round. Her daughter in America had ordered the present and when it didn't arrive the wife contacted Amazon and recognised our front door from the delivery photo. A happy ending as it made us sad to think somebody wouldn't get their Fathers' Day present.
After an afternoon of sewing I had a little potter around the back garden and got rid of a couple of the foxgloves which had finished flowering. I'm enjoying their tall bright flowers but everything is growing so vigorously the other plants need the space.

No comments: