Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 14 June 2022

Sunny.

Another bright and breezy day. Hooray, Peter agreed we could go off and do some exploring of the area and this morning we went to visit the ruins of Strata Florida Abbey It's only 23 miles from here but most of that was along country roads so took 45 minutes to drive there. The ruins are in a tiny hamlet so small that we drove straight past to start with but that had an up side in that we came to a small bit of forest where there was a large parking area. We stopped for a wander around (will post more photos later) under some very impressive trees before turning back to the ruins.
The visitors centre, exhibition and cafe were closed. That was a shame as Peter had suggested we had coffee and something to eat there as a treat and I'd stopped making the flask of coffee I was going to take along. But the ruins were still open, no charge though if you wanted to donate £3 there was a machine to 'tap' your bank card on which I did.
Most of what remains is low to the ground apart from the impressive doorway and one of the front windows. Not bad for over 1,000 years old. I expect that in the 700 years since Henry VIII disolved the monasteries it was seen as a good source of stone for other buildings.
Looking through the doorway all the way to the altar it was possible to imagine the grandeur of the abbey.
What was noticable was the sense of peace as we wandered round the very tranquil site.

One of the side chapels.
I was able to climb these steps which originally would have gone all the way up the bell tower.
Cloisters and abbey buildings at the side of the main structure.
It was interesting to see what a major centre of farming and industry the whole abbey estate was with crops, cattle, sheep, wool, fish farms, eel farming, lead mining, metal refining and working, wool, forestry and water wheels for power as well as the religious activities of a monastery.
After a lovely morning at the abbey we came back via a nature reserve with easy to manage paths through silver birch woods with streams and ponds.

On the way back the satnav took us to Aberystwyth and as we were there I got Peter to stop (and wait in the car) while I had a wander round B&M. I love that shop because they have a good range of cheap home decor stuff and you never know what you are going to find. They have some food, mostly not very healthy stuff but amongst those I found some different kinds of tinned fish to try including kippers in oil. My reason for going in was to buy some nasturtium seeds for the street troughs and weed killer for the pebbles under the troughs which are full of weed seeds. I also found some plastic storage baskets on the 'sale' shelf for £1 and bought two of those and a small desk tidy for Peter (you never know).
Once we got home I had my coffee and then full of energy got out the hedge trimmer and did the whole of the hedge that runs on the street side. The hardest part of that job was collecting up the cuttings, six bin bags full. Even so the leaves blown up the street make it look like autumn has come early. There's still one section that is a work in progress but I'll finish that off with the secateurs.
Then, because I plan to cycle to the zoo tomorrow I thought I'd better have a quick ride on my bike. Oh my! I've lost a lot of muscle in my legs this past year and I really felt it especially going uphill. Plus apart from one ride when I bought the bike a few years ago I haven't ridden a bike for 30 years and it showed. I wobbled around like a baby. Thank goodness it's downhill or flat to the zoo and if I can't manage the slope at the start of the cliff on the way home I will just get off and push. All the more reason to perservere with the bike.
Aargh, it's gone 10.30 and I've still got my Duo Lingo to do.

No comments: