Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 16 June 2022

Warm.

The day began with blue skies but later in the morning the clouds rolled in and for the rest of the day it was a mix of sun and cloud. By late afternoon the sea was completely flat, perfect for the SUPs. Fishing conditions must have been good too as later there were several boats out.
I was enjoying my early mug of tea out on the terrace when I saw the flash of a dolphin's tail. I called to Peter and we and our neighbours were able to watch the dolphing fishing between us and the reefs.
Today's photos, apart from last night's sunset, are from our stroll around Coed Y Bont nature reserve on Monday.
It's been another day of gardening for me. As our Zoom classes have finished for the summer I was able to go down to the community gardens for the 'gardening' club. If you like you can turn up at 11.00 for an hour of gardening before cake and chat. I cycled down for the gardening and very companiable it was too. (I didn't take my camera but will take it there soon to show what a lovely place it is.) Along with a few others I cut back comfrey growing under the apple trees. The garden is run on organic lines and the comfrey was left in situ to act as a natural fertiliser. 
More people turned up for the 'cake and chat'. I think there were ten of us. One lady, the mother of somebody I work with at the zoo, makes the cake and today she brought profiteroles filled with fresh cream and lemon curd, very tasty. It was a pleasant hour of chatting and getting to know more people. I found I had a lot in common with this group. One lady I chatted to was like me; an ex-teacher, lived in London, owned a horse but hadn't ridden for many years, rode in Richmond Park and volunteered with Riding for the Disabled.
The bike ride there and back showed an improvement over yesterday's efforts but there's a way to go before I feel confident especially when cars are going past. Fortunately most of the route was along a very quiet lane similar to the one above in the nature reserve but with a proper tarmac surface. 
Back home I had another attempt to shape the lower section of the hedge but the positions of the woody main stems may mean that I have to abandon my plan to shape it into a bush shape and just keep to a sloping hedge all the way down. I didn't stop there but took my secateurs to a cotoneaster growing next to the neighbours' house. They intend to replace the guttering there and that shrub was sort of in the way. Finally I was able to relax on the terrace with a coffee.
Our routine has been slightly different this evening as Peter has been out. First to meet somebody to discuss rowing club stuff and then to a Borth 2030 meeting, a group to do with local environmental planning and other stuff. I ate my supper while watching tv but with the curtains open (we have come to a compromise and usually have them partly open) as I like to watch the view too.
The ponds at the nature reserve were buzzing with red and blue damsel flies. The information display told us that they have red squirrels (superseded by grey squirrels in most of the UK.) but I think you need to spend time watching from the hide to see them.
Sunset last night.

 

No comments: