Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 21 June 2022

Sunny Solstice.

Happy Summer Solstice. 
While I'm definitely not a druid or follower of any pagan religion I am definitely a sun lover. Not in the sense of trying to get as tanned as possible but in that the sun causes my mood to lift significantly. In other words gloomy days make me feel depressed so bring on the sun. I'm finding the terminology quite confusing, most sites say June 21 st is the Solstice but some say June 22nd. And if it's mid-summer how comes the summer is only just beginning?
Stonehenge this morning.
I was blearily watching Speedy eat his breakfast when I noticed a couple of dolphins by the reefs. They didn't stay long but it was a good start to the day.
The sun has been shining all day with a perfect drying wind. Two loads went out on the washing line which gave me some ironing to do in the afternoon.
Today I've been mostly tidying up in the garden. The water butts went back by the boiler and I sorted a space by the oil tank which gave me the chance to put away some of the stuff still hanging about in the main part of the back garden. Hastened by the hot dry weather more of the foxgloves have finished flowering and are now in the bag ready to go to the dump. Joining them was a lot of the elder bush/tree growing in our neighbours' garden but more easily accessed from our side. Our neighbour had said to cut it back as it's overpowering a laurel bush. There's a whole load more to cut down but if I saw it down I think it will fall in their yard so I'll wait until we've had a chat about it.
For once I left myself a generous amount of time to finish my day by sitting out in the sun. Might as well enjoy it while it's here.
The nepeta I planted last year is doing really well though it got a bit flattened I guess by Speedy or the other cats lying or rolling in it. That's why it's now protected by a forest of short sticks.

 

No comments: