Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 9 December 2022

Cold.

A frosty start to the day.
A crisp, cold morning turned into an afternoon of wintry showers. 
I've spent my day making truffles or at least the centres. There are about 70 of them in the fridge still needing to be dipped in chocolate. Half-way through the chilling and stirring I began to wonder if my latest idea to use Bailey's flavoured cream had been a mistake. The recipe calls for double cream which is thicker than single cream beacuse of its higher fat content. The flavoured cream was even thicker but when I put it to heat with the butter it rapidly dissolved and each time I stirred the ganache it didn't seem to be thickening up. Checking the container I saw that the flavoured cream contained emulsifier which had obviously been used as a cheaper way of getting thick cream. Luckily by the time I had left the ganache in the freezer for a while it had set enough for me to hand roll the truffles. But although the cream tasted of Baileys I think most of that taste has been lost in the making of the ganache. Or maybe I had too many tastes as I was making it? Back to ordinary double cream next time.
More singing practice this afternoon as I ploughed my way through the Christmas carols. I'm amassing a list of words for which I need some help with the pronounciation. So far; ynghwsg, angylaidd, wyf, uwch, angylion and I'm sure there'll be a few more once I've got to the end of the list of carols.
By late afternoon a sprinkling of snow could be seen on the mountains with more later on but the light levels were too low for a photo.

 

No comments: